Welcome to the Society Hill Synagogue Building Improvement Capital Campaign!
The SHS Board of Directors is respectfully asking our members, friends, and community supporters to make a donation––“a joyful stretch”––to support the future growth and sustainability of our wonderful synagogue community.
As the words with which we begin each Shabbat morning service state,
“How great are your tents, O Jacob, your dwelling places, O Israel!” (Numbers 24:5).
Our goal is to have our synagogue spaces complement our religious, educational, cultural, spiritual, and communal lives with accessibility, safety, functionality, beauty, and comfort.
Through a series of surveys and groups discussion we engaged the SHS membership and asked them to prioritize the ways in which we can make our synagogue the best place it can be. The results are as follows:
- Improve our facilities to help make our historic building a more functional, welcoming, and dignified space for our congregation and guests;
- Expand, improve, and upgrade the classroom spaces for the Playschool and Sunday and Hebrew Schools;
- Increase the number of Adult Education classes offered by SHS,
- Create more accessible and vibrant outdoor spaces; and
- Develop more accessible and beautiful spaces for the range of religious, educational, and community activities that define the SHS experience.
In 2007, we launched Phase I of the SHS Capital Campaign, during which we successfully raised the funds necessary to purchase 430 Spruce Street, the property that sits adjacent to the righthand side of the Sanctuary in our current historic synagogue building (418 Spruce Street).
In 2017, we launched Phase II of the Capital Campaign to complete the renovations to 430 and 418 Spruce Street that are needed to enhance the religious, educational, and social experiences at SHS.
Now we need your help!
Please take a moment and reflect on your connection to SHS. We ask that you make a “joyful stretch” donation to help us meet our goals. We hope to secure support from 100% of our members.
Below you can find the following information:
- Building Improvement Vision Statement
- Building Improvement Concept Plans
- Available Naming Honors
- Pledge Form
You can make a donation either by completing the pledge form and dropping it off at the synagogue office or mailing it to:
Society Hill Synagogue
418 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
OR you can make your contribution right now by clicking on this link: http://www.societyhillsynagogue.org/contact/payments-or-donations/
Thank you for helping to preserve and improve our beautiful historic building. We appreciate your generous support of Society Hill Synagogue’s efforts to improve and expand our spiritual home so that we can continue to serve the needs of the Philadelphia Jewish Community.