Society Hill Synagogue is proud of its extraordinary leadership. Guided by Rabbi Avi Winokur, our executive team — including professional staff and members elected to leadership positions — helps us improve our facilities, strengthen our programs and meet the challenges of 21st century Judaism.
Gloria Parris, Director of Preschool Education
- Miss Gloria has always been interested in teaching children, and she has over 15 years of experience as a preschool teacher. She earned a B.S. in Elementary Education at Temple University.
- She specializes in teaching at synagogue preschools with mixed Jewish and gentile populations – a perfect fit for Society Hill Synagogue’s Playschool. Her two grown daughters, along with her grandchildren, continue to benefit from her expertise!
- Under her direction, the SHS Playschool has doubled in size, and has become one of the most popular preschool programs in the city.
Betty van de Rijn, Executive Director
- Betty chose to become Jewish and converted at age 18. She has shaped her life around raising her Jewish family and working in Jewish institutions.
- Prior to her career in synagogue management, she worked in the field of health care administration.
- Before she joined the SHS staff in August 2006, she was employed for 15 years at Temple Beth Shalom in New Jersey, first as Director of Operations, then as Assistant Executive Director.
Sahar Oz, Director of Education
- Sahar joined the SHS staff in the summer of 2012 as Director of Education at the Ann Spak Thal School.
- He has over 15 years of Judaic teaching experience and has worked with students of all ages.
- Sahar earned an M.A. in Jewish Education and Administration from Gratz College and a B.A. in International Media from Pennsylvania State University.
- He served as Director of Judaic Programming at the Katz JCC in Cherry Hill, NJ and as Director of the Chester County Branch of the Jewish Community High School of Gratz College.
- A native of Rishon LeZion, Israel, Sahar has spent most of his life in the US and now resides in Center City with his wife Allison.