Society Hill Synagogue is proud of its extraordinary leadership. Guided by Rabbi Avi Winokur, our executive team — including professional staff and members elected to leadership positions — helps us improve our facilities, strengthen our programs and meet the challenges of 21st century Judaism.
Betty van de Rijn, Executive Director
- Betty has been Executive Director of Society Hill Synagogue since August 2006. Prior to joining the staff at SHS, she worked at Temple Beth Shalom in New Jersey for over 15 years––first, as Director of Operations and later, as Assistant Executive Director.
- Betty is responsible for coordinating all events, programs, and activities at SHS. She also expertly maintains our historic building and supervises our exceptional maintenance staff. Along with our Treasurer and Finance Committee, she prepares the annual budget that is presented to the Board of Directors.
- Born and raised in South Philadelphia (and an avid fan of all Philly sports teams), she and her husband, Marty, moved to Cherry Hill, New Jersey to raise their own three kids. Betty loves to cook for her family and hosts all holiday meals for her entire family, including her five adorable grandchildren.
Sahar Oz, Director of Education
- Sahar joined the SHS staff in the summer of 2012 as Director of Education of the Ann Spak Thal School.
- He has over 15 years of Judaic teaching experience and has worked with students of all ages.
- Sahar earned an M.A. in Jewish Education and Administration from Gratz College and a B.A. in International Media from Pennsylvania State University.
- He served as Director of Judaic Programming at the Katz JCC in Cherry Hill, NJ and as Director of the Chester County Branch of the Jewish Community High School of Gratz College.
- A native of Rishon LeZion, Israel, Sahar has spent most of his life in the US and now resides in Center City with his wife, Allison, and son, Eli.
Gloria Parris, Co-Director of Preschool Education
- Miss Gloria has always been interested in teaching children, and she has over 15 years of experience as a preschool teacher. She earned a B.S. in Elementary Education at Temple University.
- She specializes in teaching at synagogue preschools with mixed Jewish and gentile populations – a perfect fit for Society Hill Synagogue’s Playschool. Her two grown daughters, along with her grandchildren, continue to benefit from her expertise!
- Under her direction, the SHS Playschool has doubled in size, and has become one of the most popular preschool programs in the city.
Alison Kaplan, Co-Director of Preschool Education
- Miss Ali graduated from Towson University with a BA in Family Studies, with a concentration in Services to Children. Upon completion of her undergraduate degree from Towson, she continued her graduate work at Rider University, where she obtained a dual teaching certification in Early Childhood and Elementary Education
- Miss Ali has been a teacher at the SHS Playschool since 2007 and was actively involved in the development of the exciting new Pre-K curriculum.
- Miss Ali is dedicated to helping each student achieve a love of learning!